We made it safely to the conference center yesterday on Evia Island in Greece. We met a group of IMB Missionaries at the aiport Sunday afternoon and rode on a bus with them here - we arrived about 6pm, just in time for dinner. After dinner we went straight to the medical clinic and helped there until about 10:00pm - there were already so many patients to see!
This morning, Amy and I set up a table outside of breakfast where I gave TB skin tests and she tested blood glucose. We each saw about 75 people. Then we helped in the clinic with cholesterol screenings, Chem-8 screenings and about 300 more TB skin tests. We have also been able to help the other pharmacist in the pharmacy. We have a very diverse medical team - 2 doctors from Mississippi, 1 from North Carolina, a hospital administrator from California, Nurse from NC, Nurse from Hungary, Helper/Hygeinist from Mississippi and the other pharmacist is from Miss too. It has been a fun group but often too many chiefs - but things are running smoother this afternoon! It is nice to be here working and not worrying about every little step of our trip. Our meals are planned and we have a great place to rest at night. It is going to be a quick stay, but I'm glad we can help. The conference center is located on the beach (which I haven't had time to see yet). It is a very nice place - has a huge swimming pool - that all the M kids are really enjoying. The church in California that is sponsoring the trip has everything planned out well.
AND... I woke up this morning with strep throat!! Fun, Fun. Good thing I'm working in the pharmacy.
I didn't get to finish writing about the last part of our time in Athens. Saturday night we went to a very traditional greek restaraunt, with live music and dancing. The place was packed when we got there, so we figured it must be good. Turns out there was a huge tour group from Australia and another one from England. There was also a large family from Maryland there. Everyone got up and danced and had a great time. The pictures are hilarious! The lady that sang with the band was really nice and we got to talk to her a good bit. At the end of the night, she told us she was our "Greek mama!" I'm so glad we were able to have that experience.
Sunday morning we had a nice breakfast at our hotel (included) and then went exploring. We saw the Parliment, toured the National gardens and wandered through the Sunday Flea market. We hurried back to the hotel, showered and checked out by 12. Our hotel was really nice - the best place we have stayed so far. We couldn't decide where to eat lunch and weren't really wanting traditional greek food, so we made our way to McDonalds!! I never eat there at home, but of course it hit the spot and we were very thankful for a little comfort food.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment