Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pictures round 2

Ok – Let’s try this again. I had to come back up to the room because it was getting deserted in the lobby…makes me a little nervous. But now Dad is here and I am trying this again… Today was a busy day – the Dad and Dr. Rick saw about 20 patients each with a few add-ons. They were doing a lot of yearly exams but had time to talk with them, get their story and do a little counseling. The missionaries conveyed over and over again how grateful they are to see American doctors. I know they are so thankful to have someone sit down with them, LISTEN, and care for them personally. Many of them have been able to open up to us with their concerns, stresses and life trials. They keep asking why we chose to come over here - as if they are wondering if anyone in America even realizes they are here and thinks of them. We continue to tell them how thankful we are for their service and for the hard work they are doing to tell others about Jesus. Even though we are not out on the “field” with them, we are able to get a glimpse into their lives and ministries here in West Africa. I have been working with 2 other nurses here – Cindy is one of them and she is the medical coordinator for the area. She keeps up with what each family needs as far as tests and vaccines – Cindy keeps our clinic very organized and running smoothly. The other nurse, Charlene, is an IMB Trustee from Virginia – She also came over just for the week and has been really fun to work with. Today I was able to give out a lot more of our medicine to families that are in need. Sometimes the Tylenol here is more expensive than the prescription drugs! I also gave over 40 shots/vaccines/Tb skin tests. Right before dinner, we were able to leave the hotel for the first time in 48 hours!! We went down the street to the “grocery store” to get a few more bottles of Coca-Cola-Light (Diet Coke – no they do not have diet Mtn Dew which is my new favorite back home!) and a few snacks in case dinner was bad. But we returned to a decent meal – a small serving of “African lasagna” – which was basically a beef lasagna that tasted like it was made from hashbrowns…I think they used potatoes instead of noodles?? It really wasn’t that bad – but we have determined that they only serve a main course at dinner and at lunch they serve salad, main course and dessert! Lunch today was some type of bird – I think someone called it guinea fowl… not the best. But I have not been that hungry and I find plenty to keep my energy up. I wish I could write a few blurbs about the people we met today but that would take a while…so many of them have been serving over here for 15-30 years!! We have made many Auburn/SEC connections which has been fun. Last night we met a 24 yr old girl who graduated from AU in 2006. She is a journeyman in Mali. She lives close to Timbuktu, Mali – yes, that is really a place - out in the middle of nowhere!! It was really great to hear her story and she was THRILLED to see Auburn family. I’m glad we could be an encouragement to her. Well, I better get to bed because we have another early morning. We are going to be able to go to church with the Missionaries tomorrow and I am looking forward to the worship together. We are also going shopping a little in the afternoon – should be an interesting day! A few prayer requests: John Mitchell – a family friend back in Opelika who is really sick right now at EAMC – he has a rare virus/fungus and needs to be transported to UAB or Emory soon. Please pray that he can be transferred tomorrow and start the healing process. As far as here in Africa – a lot of these Missionaries have needs and this conference is a time for them to “peel off” the layers, open up and renew their faith in the big picture. They all know they are called to be here but putting that into practice on a daily basis is as hard for them as it is for us. Thanks for reading and praying. Good night!

The Pharmacy near the hotel

Some of the missionaires waiting for the doctor
Christin and I became fast friends
Nurse Cindy adn Briana
Me, Nurse Charlene and Cindy
Dr. Rick and Dad with Missionairy couple



3 missionary sisters with Nurses Charlene and CIndy in the background.
Me and Rachel

Brianna and I
Dad helping some of the children

1 comment:

Sarah Garner said...

I love it Jess. Keep up the good blogging!