Friday, March 22nd
This morning's devotional was led by Dr. Brobst and it was on Psalm 23. He talked about the many promises of God in Psalm 23 - how God is always with you in the valley, even if its months or years. He will give you peace and never leave you, He will provide for you. We can trust Him and His plan and we can stand on His word even in the worst of times. We don't have to understand His plan, but we just have to be obeidient.It was just what we needed to hear today.
Before we left the Buagyi compound we gave a few things to the family that had been staying there all week. The kids, John and Vicki got bubbles and the older daughter Maria and mom, Joyce, we gave a bible and some extra small bags we had.
Today's clinic was in Lanyi which was about half the distance back to Mundri on highway 1. It took us a while to get all the bags loaded and when we arrived we had to get the school rooms ready for use. Coffee had said the people were supposed to come early and prepare the rooms, but they did not - so we didn't get going until 1030 or so. The backdrop of clinic was beautiful - it was a very large rock/mountain in the distance with grassy fields before it. Debby stayed behind again today because she wasn't back to full speed and was also dealing with cold-like symptoms. She went with our extra luggage ahead to Mundri for the day. While Emily wasn't back to full strength, she was feeling much better and joined us for clinic again.
I started feeling bad that morning, but kept blaming it on this or that. Late morning, I discovered that I also had the "GI bug"...not fun. Leigh came down with it about the same time I did. We were both very nauseated and had to take many trips to the bathroom. I sat down on the pharmacy bench and helped make liquid antibiotics, split tablets, or direct others to help Shayna because I was simply too weak. I really appreciated everyone's concern, encouragement and willingness to step in to help. Shanyna worked very hard that day to account for my slack!
We had used all of day 5's ibuprofen on Thursday, so we all contributed our personal supply and made small bags of it to give out. It sustained us through clinic which was amazing. We had 2 bottles of malaria medicine left, but felt like we met most of the needs today. We saw 240 patients.
Jon spent a lot of time talking with a woman who had accepted Christ in 2006 and wanted to be baptized. Unfortunately, there was no water anywhere close to the village. They almost drove the 20 miles to Mundri to the river, but the water would have probably made Jon sick. Jefferies assured us that he would follow up with the local pastor to ensure she gets baptized.
We sang several songs with those left after clinic and took a big group picture. We left Lanyi about 430 and returned to the Brookhills compound in Mundri. I, personally, was so happy to be back where the facilities actually had a toilet seat! We also had showers from a true shower head, but still had to conserve our water use. It was very refreshing.
Some people took a quick walk through Mundri and then ate dinner - I think they had chicken, rice and lentil beans, but I didn't feel up to eating. We held a very impromtu clinic for some of the men and workers families. We thought it would be about 10 people, but ended up being 50! It was a little challenging finidng all the supplies and medicines. I was so weak, but I sat with a bucket in my lap and made liquid antibiotics and helped label the medicines. Shanyna did most of the work with a few helpers. We had to get creative with some of the medicines as we had run out of a few things during the week. I'm glad we could provide a little care for them after all they had done for us this week.
We determined that we saw 1153 patients this week, which was amazing!! It far exceeded our expectations and we are thankful to God.
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment