Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update from Charleston

The past week and 1/2 has flown by!! I haven't had much time to blog, etc, but I will try to catch up. The first week (2 days) of Residency was good - meeting my co-residents, endless meetings, pager presentation, feeling overwhelmed, etc. We got our schedules on Thurs for the entire year and I am thankful to say that I do not have to work on Thanksgiving (i.e. AU/AL game!!) or Christmas! As far as holidays, I have to work the weekend of Labor Day, Easter and Memorial Day (which will change for Andy's wedding) - so not that bad. I was also happy to find out that I will be doing all of my weekend/night work in the Children's Hospital - and I am the only 1st year Resident that gets this privaledge, so I am excited. I was also happy with my month-to-month rotation schedule and got many of the rotations that I asked for.
We had Friday off for the holiday and my mom was able to come up for the weekend since my dad is in Africa. She arrived about 2pm Friday afternoon and didn't leave until 8am Monday morning. I was glad to have her here to help me finish settling in and find my way around town! We managed to go to the movies, eat seafood, exercise at The Battery and County park, lay-out at the pool, see top 5 fireworks, attend church, go on a carriage ride and meet some of my residency friends. I have 2 slideshows of pictures from the fireworks and carriage ride below. Nothing like watching fireworks that go off of a huge aircraft carrier!
This week we have been working on learning the computer systems for order entry and taking a 2-day ACLS class. I am happy to report that I passed the written and live simulation test and am now ACLS certified! This weekend I have to take the SC law test (Sat at 4pm) so I have been busy studying for this every evening. I will be glad to have that behind me!
So far, so good. I am enjoying getting to know my co-residents and am happy to get a few pieces of the residency puzzle each day. I hope to have a better picture of what this year will be like by the end of the month!


2 comments:

The Brannens said...

Glad you are getting settled in your new home and new job!

Kimmie said...

I cannot wait to come and visit!! It looks BEAUTIFUL there and so historic! on July 4th i was reminded of our time in D.C. and how fun that was watching the fireworks together sitting on the capital steps. ahhhh, those were the days...:)